Fruit & Nut Balls (AKA Mini Christmas Puddings) – Recipe
These delicious fruit & nut balls are super simple to make with the added benefit of being raw (no cooking needed), gluten free, dairy free & sugar free! (the dried fruit makes them sweet enough).
- 80g – golden sultanas
- 50g – dates
- 60g – dried cranberries (without added sugar)
- 50g – dried apricots (brown ones if you can as the orange ones have preservatives in)
- 130g – ground almonds
- 50g – walnuts (or another favourite nut)
- 8 drops – Orange Essential Oil (must be food grade) or an essential oil of your choice*
- 1 table spoon –Olive Oil
- A dash of Cinnamon, Clove, All Spice and Nutmeg (powder)
- 1 table spoon Ground flax seeds (optional)
- A sprinkle of finely ground desiccated coconut to decorate.
You could use any essential oil* you like to flavour these, some other suggestions that work well include peppermint, mandarin or geranium. You could also try a combination e.g. orange & geranium, lime & peppermint but keep the total number of drops as 8.
- Place all of the fruit & nut ingredients into a food processor.
- Add 8 drops of the orange essential oil to a table spoon of olive oil. This helps even distribution of the essential oil.
- Add the oil to the other ingredients in the processor and blend until the mixture comes together. If the mix is too dry and not sticking together, add another dash of olive oil.
- Shape in to balls by rolling in the palms of your hands and place into mini cake cases. I weight out about 30g of mix to get even sized balls.
- Finish off by using a sieve to sprinkle finely ground desiccated coconut over the tops or roll in sesame seeds.
*Essential oils must be 100% pure, organic and unadulterated to be suitable for use in flavouring foods – Essential Oils & You are suitable. Never ingest essential oils before diluting them.